4. Where My Hope Comes From

Project Hope School
So, how was this foundation of caring for others established in my life? Why do I want to serve with Mission Impact?
I was a witness to poverty, but I was offered a helping hand. I have lived life in motel rooms for long periods of time as if they were apartments, and I have lived in basically every motel in a certain diameter of Santa Ana. And I have gone to a school that cared for students beyond the necessity of education. The school was geared towards kids living in motels/shelters and kids who were troubled. The school provided 2 meals a day, a safe place to be a kid, and even an after school program so that we were busy until 5pm. We were there all day, we were given clothes and shoes when we were in need. They would send us home with clear bags of bread, canned goods, and top ramen. 12 times a year, every month, they would have a monthly birthday cake and if it was your birth month they would add our name to it because they knew we probably wouldn't get a big birthday celebration. They would find people to sponsor us during Christmas time so that we could go to target and buy a gift for our guardians, and they would give every kid a new donated present that was gift wrapped. They sent us to outdoor science camp for free because we couldn't afford it otherwise. Sometimes the teachers would even bring us home-cooked meals for a class party, or buy us ice cream cones or hot chocolate from the circle of orange down the street.
This was my life from 3rd grade - 6th grade. They provided an education but also so much more. Granted it wasn't normal for a school to provide all of this, but I'm so glad they cared this deeply about young people living in poverty. I know that the caring and serving of these teachers and school staff has helped mold who I am today, & I want to serve and care for others as well.
Youth Group at Camp
We were a bunch of students who were overlooked by most and could have been underserved because of our family's lack of finances, but we were being educated and taken care of by HOPE school staff. I can honestly say that college wasn't even a thought, not the slightest, when I was in elementary school. But once I started going to church after my freshman year of high school, I gained a vision that offered hope. The foundation of caring that started at this school for homeless kids was met by God and carried out through the church. They loved and cared for me, and told me of God's unfailing love. And because of God's people, the hope that I had was planted in the One who is unwavering. 
My hope is to use this story for Kingdom building and positive change. I graduated from Azusa Pacific University with a Bachelor's degree & I have the chance to carry out serving girls in Santa Maria de Jesus for the sake of a hope and a future that surpasses the idea of simply surviving. So, please please consider helping me put my experience to use in the form of serving these girls.

Raising Support

Please consider helping me get to Guatemala and serve these girls by making a financial contribution! If you'd like to help me serve in Guatemala, you can contribute by clicking on this link to become a Monthly Supporter or make a One-Time Contribution.
Remember to choose "Vanessa Salcedo Support" in the Gift Designation.
I currently have 3 Monthly Supporters that total to $130/month.
Would you become a Monthly Supporter and cover another box? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Partner with Me?

Santa María de Jesús